What are the essential sections of a Research Paper? How do they join together?
A research paper has several parts such as the title page, abstract, introduction, body, methodology and conclusion. However, depending on the paper type and level, some of the research paper parts may be optional. When writing a research paper, all necessary information must be present, the parts of the research paper should have a logical flow so that there is a connection between them. Stick to the specified format should be used and it should be well structured.
General Guidelines to Writing a Research Paper
The general guidelines to write a research paper are inexhaustible. Here are just a few of them.
- When given a topic, be sure you know the difficulties you will encounter before you forge ahead to write the research paper.
- Clearly state the objective and significance of the topic before you embark on the project.
- Focus on the research topic.
- Every main point should take a paragraph except the abstract.
- Main points should have a structure such that there is aconnection between the points.
- Do not address the reader directly. Also, do not use casual words when writing a research paper.
- All facts should be in the present tense.
- All sources such as journals, existing literature, articles etc. should be well cited in your research paper.
Research Paper Title Page
It will help if you put into consideration the research style your instructor wants you to use. In MLA format, the title page is not necessary unless your instructor otherwise states it. While in APA format, your title page will be the first page, and it will include your topic, your school, your name and student registration number, your instructor's name and submission date. All these will be centred and given double line spacing.
Research Paper Abstract
The abstract is a quick overview of the entire research work. This part contains the objective, synopsis and the goal of a research paper. Depending on the paper length, it should consist of 100 – 500 words.
Research Paper Introduction
When writing the introduction, there should be a thesis statement which will be the basis of the research paper. Also, in this part, the researcher gives a brief explanation of their objective by listing the main points.
Methodology and Framework Chapter
This chapter is included in more voluminous research papers to explain explicitly the methods used in getting the final results of the research paper. The chapter also deals with the description of the research subject, the study methods and tools and the analysis methods and tools.
The body is a major part of the research that gives a detailed explanation of the main points of the research topic. In this chapter, all main points are explained in separate paragraphs using relevant existing articles and literature.
Research Paper Conclusion
The conclusion is the part where the research paper is briefly summarized, and the thesis statement is reaffirmed as the research paper comes to a close.